We are fast approaching preview Season for Innistrad: Crimson Vow, which starts on Thursday the 28th! One thing that has become a tradition for new set releases is the Teaser Doc that Mark Rosewater, Magic: the Gathering‘s lead designer, shares with the community a few days before previews start. Today we have that very document for Crimson Vow and there’s some very interesting ones.
First up, here are some things you can expect:
• The following counter types: bloodline, croak, invitation, judgment, omen, slime, and suspect
• A new mechanic that removes something never removed before
• A popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted
• A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure
• A card that makes red Dragon Illusion creature tokens with flying and haste
• A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns
• A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card
• A new card that lets you cast certain cards off the top of your library
• A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic
• A legendary character returns, but now as a Vampire
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “Choose a number between 0 and 13.”
• “with mana value less than or equal to the number of Vampires you control”
• “If it’s red, you may cast it this turn.”
• “Zombies you control have flying.”
• “At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may sacrifice a creature.”
• “Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent”
• “twice that many of those tokens are created instead.”
• “Whenever a Human you control dies,”
• “equal to the number of permanents you control that are Spirits and/or enchantments.”
• “Then if you control exactly thirteen permanents,”
Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Human Ranger Werewolf
• Creature – Angel Soldier
• Creature – Zombie Scorpion
• Creature – Serpent Egg
• Creature – Eye Horror
• Legendary Creature – Human Peasant
• Legendary Creature – Spirit Warlock
• Legendary Creature – Slug Horror
• Legendary Creature – Kraken Horror
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble (two new ones)
That’s a WALL of stuff, but there’s a few things that stick out to me as interesting. First off, there’s a “popular and powerful Innistrad Creature gets reprinted”. Note that Innistrad isn’t italicized, so it could be from any of Innistrad’s blocks and sets. The hope is that maybe Snapcaster Mage makes a return? Another option could be Blood Artist. We could also see something like Bedlam Reveler, Grim Flayer, Olivia Voldaren or Spell Queller could also be likely candidates.
The second thing that’s a bit interesting here is the faction mechanic returning as a base mechanic. A faction mechanic is something like a Ravnica guild mechanic. Some interesting options here could be Surveil. I’m also looking to the Rakdos mechanics that are available since the vampires are black and red.
Lastly, I’m pretty excited about seeing another double legendary creature card. We have a similar card to this in Pia and Kiran Nalaar, and my guess for this be something like Edgar Markov and Olivia Voldaren, or whoever Olivia is marrying in the set.
There’s definitely a lot to digest in this document, and I’m very excited to see what comes out in previews! Be sure to stay tuned as we’ll be bringing you all the previews over in our Preview Gallery and stay tuned for all of our Innistrad: Crimson Vow coverage! What are some of your predictions from this article? Let us know in the comments!