Earlier this week, Magic senior designer Gavin Verhey gave us our first look at three of the legendary Strixhaven: School of Mages professors featured in the upcoming 2021 Magic: The Gathering Commander Decks. Those legends represent three out of the five colleges of the Strixhaven university: Witherbloom (green/black), Lorehold (red/white), and Prismari (red/blue), and in today’s episode of Good Morning Magic!, Verhey has revealed the other two legendary Commanders as well as six more hints for the Strixhaven Commander Decks.
In the video, we get our first look at the professors of Quandrix (blue/green) and Silverquill (black/white). Quandrix’s professors are Adrix and Nev, who are described as legendary merfolks who were literally swimming in Magic. Silverquill’s professor is Breena, described to be an elite mage who’s a “powerhouse of charisma”.
The cards depicting these professors haven’t been revealed yet, but the video reveals our first look at the original artworks for Adrix and Nev illustrated by Andrew Mar, and Breena illustrated by Simon Dominic.
2 new Strixhaven legends and 6 more Commander hints!
In addition to the two legendary professors, Verhey also shares 6 six hints for the Strixhaven Commander decks:
- There is a permanent with an ability that begins whenever a kraken, leviathan, octopurs, and serpent…”
- There is a card which does something for X where X is equal to your Commander’s mana value (the new term replacing “converted mana cost”.)
- There’s a card that secretly asks you to choose an opponent.
- There’s a card which gives named counters that act like a popular multiplayer cycle.
- There’s a legendary creature that has three different tap abilities.
- There’s a new card with a Storm mechanic.
Strixhaven is set to release for tabletop on April 23, and it will be released on Magic: The Gathering Arena and Magic Online on April 15. Check out the important dates here.