Wizards of the Coast and the Magic: The Gathering community are getting ready to reveal new cards from the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, but before we the spoiler season officially begins next week, MTG head designer Mark Rosewater has shared some exciting teasers for the highly-anticipated crossover expansion.
Just as Rosewater has done for Modern Horizons 2 and other previous MTG sets, the lead designer has shared a list of Duelist-style teasers, revealing partial information of new cards from Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Thanks to the teasers, we now have a glimpse of several creature types to expect from the upcoming set, including familiar Dungeons & Dragons creatures like the Beholder.
Mark Rosewater’s Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Teasers
First up, here are some things you can expect:
• a new enchantment subtype
• a card granting -11/-11
• a creature with a death trigger that makes an equipment token
• a legendary creature that makes a legendary Hamster creature token
• something only seen previously in Un-sets comes to black border
• an artifact that’s a musical instrument that creates harmony counters
• a card that can keep your opponent from winning the game
• an ability that cares about attacking with a certain amount of power of creatures
• cards that let you decide where the story goes
• a card that creates a legendary creature token named Vecna
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “Enchanted permanent is a Treasure artifact”
• “Ward – discard a card.”
• “Exchange your hand and library”
• “Skeletons, Vampires and Zombies”
• “Spend this mana only to cast Dragon spells or activate abilities of Dragons.”
• “for each different mana value among nonland cards in your graveyard.”
• “Then if you have fewer than three cards in hand, draw cards equal to the difference.”
• “Whenever you cast a creature spell that doesn’t share a creature type with a creature you control or a creature card in your graveyard,”
• “You may cast [THIS CREATURE’S NAME] from your graveyard if a creature not named [THIS CREATURE’S NAME] died this turn.”
• “When its power become 20 this way,”
Finally, here are some card type lines in the set:
• Creature – Dwarf Citizen
• Creature – Tiefling Wizard
• Creature – Human Elf Monk
• Creature – Elf Spider
• Creature – Gnome Warlock
• Creature – Halfling Rogue
• Creature – Bird Bear
• Legendary Creature – Dragon Knight
• Legendary Creature – Devil God
• Legendary Creature – Beholder
Although Rosewater’s teasers didn’t fully reveal any new mechanics, we learned that there’s a new enchantment subtype, and “cards that let you decide where the story goes” (Could this be a hint to how the dungeon-venturing mechanic works?). For the most part, these teasers didn’t reveal anything too crazy, mechanics-wise, but it’s nice to see how various themes of D&D will cross-over with Magic in this set.
Rosewater went on to remind us that DailyMTG will reveal more previews on Thursday, June 24 before the bulk of the official spoilers arrive next week. You can check out where you can find all the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms spoilers here, and don’t forget to check out our spoiler section that we will update regularly.
What are your thoughts about Rosewater’s teasers for Adventures in the Forgotten Realms? Feel free to discuss in the comments section below.
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms is set to release for tabletop worldwide on July 23, 2021; you can check out all the details about the upcoming set here. It’s also set to release on Magic: The Gathering Arena and Magic Online a week earlier. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms products are now available for preorder.